It’s springtime, what are you doing inside? There’s no better time of year to step outside, take a breath and take it all in.
And there’s no better time to step up your fitness routine.
Feeling a little uninspired? Your workout probably needs a spring cleaning. It’s easy to do, and there’s no time like the present.
Here are five easy ways to shake things up and spring into fitness this season.
- Add a flexibility component to your workouts. Roll out your muscles with a stretch class or yoga. You’ll be amazed how good it feels. No time for a class (you know how I feel about that!)? Research six great stretches and do them every day for two weeks. I promise, you’ll notice the difference.
- Get outside at least once a week and indulge in a power walk, a jog or a bike ride. Wake up your senses, smell the roses and drink in the sunshine. Just breathing in fresh air can help release stress, not to mention replenish your cells with oxygen and release endorphins.
- Motivate someone else. It’s empowering to use your influence to encourage and inspire someone who needs a little motivation. Bring that person to class with you; he or she will thank you later, and you’ll get a great workout too.
- Invest in a great pair of sneakers. With all that fabulous support hugging your feet, you’ll find yourself moving a little faster on the treadmill, and avoiding a lot of unnecessary pain. Go to the experts at your sporting goods or running store for advice on the right shoe and the right fit for your fitness routine.
- Create a habit. Sure, motivation will get you in class, but it takes discipline to stay on track. Create a very specific schedule for yourself and commit to following it for four straight weeks – no exceptions. After just four weeks, you will have created a habit – and the discipline it takes to make it stick.
– Ellen Latham